Sunday, February 7, 2010

Words of Encouragement for Newer Runners

A poster to the UltraList recently asked for members to provide some words of encouragement in an email that she would forward to friends who are running the Austin marathon and 1/2 marathon.

This is what I wrote:


“You’re tougher than you think you are...and you can do more than you think you can.”  - Ken Chlouber, Leadville 100 Race Director

You are embarked on a voyage of discovery, in which the race will help you figure out some important things about yourself. The physical race will hold a light up to how well you have trained, as well as illuminating how mentally tough you are. Especially if things are not going well you will need to dig deep and will yourself through any tough spots you encounter.

Keep a relaxed, playful attitude about the race; after all, no one is holding a gun to your head, you're doing this for fun. That said, your mindset should be not "if" I finish but "when" I finish. Crossing that finish line may be like nothing else you have ever experienced.


--my signature block deleted--

"I feel my heart pumping hard, I want to think again of dangerous and noble things. I want to be light and frolicsome. I want to be improbable, beautiful and afraid of nothing, as though I had wings." -- Mary Oliver, 'Starlings in Winter'

No comments:

Post a Comment