Monday, March 29, 2010

Results: Umstead 100 Mile Endurance Race

The short version is that I ran the race of my life. Everything that could have gone well, not only went just well but went extraordinarily well. Everything that could have torpedoed me, didn’t.


Bottom line: a 22:35 finish….breaking 24 hours in a hundred is a big deal.

I never in my wildest dreams thought I could break 24. In fact it never was one of my “A” list goals. My only goal, seriously, was just to finish. Must have been my day, I guess. It netted me a silver belt buckle instead of the standard brass or bronze one.

Just went to the race web site but results are not yet posted. I was hoping to see official results because they were doing computer data entry as you checked in and out of the 2 aid stations along the course. I am particularly interested in how I did overall and in my age group, now that I officially turned 58 last week.

That’s it for now. I’m home nursing my tender feet. I do have a silver dollar sized blister on the bottom of each foot, not exactly on the ball of my foot but just a bit further to the front, behind the toes. That’s pretty painful now and I am limping and walking at a old man shuffle. I realized I had the blisters in Lap 6 of 8, but they didn’t feel squishy like draining would help (and that turned out to be true) so I decided to just run on thru it. Actually running was less discomfort than walking, so that may have been a contributing factor in my time.

More details later.

No comments:

Post a Comment