Saturday, May 1, 2010

Motivation Following a Major Effort Run

I'm in a running lull at the moment, and it's a lull I expected.

After running well 5 weeks ago at the Umstead 100 Mile Endurance Run, I took a week off to rest my tired legs and to heal my blisters, then resumed running with my work buddies at lunchtime. Runs for a couple weeks were in the 6 mile range. Then I went longer and hit a couple of 10 milers on the weekends.

This past week has been a rough one at work where I was too busy to break away for a run on a couple days, and my running buddies were also busy. So from the pool of 6 potential runners on any given day there might be 2 available. One day, I was the only runner, and I really had to whip myself up to do the run alone. Once I was out there, it was a fine run, but my lack of motivation in advance is an unusual phenomenon.

But, not unexpected. Every time I've done some big event, there seemingly has been a letdown in the ensuing weeks. Also, in my personal life, this seems to be a time of higher than normal stress, which compounds the problem.

It's like I'm stuck in a loop. I don't feel like running because I'm stressed and otherwise just not motivated....and my lack of running ensures that I remain stressed and unmotivated.

How to break the cycle? I guess, like I have done countless times in the past, you just go and do the right thing. Not because you feel like it but because it's the right thing. In this case, the right thing is running, and sooner or later--if prior experience is any guide--the enjoyment and motivation will return.

No comments:

Post a Comment