Monday, August 2, 2010

More Sirius/XM Radio

As I mentioned in a previous post last Wed, I recently bought a new minivan and it came with a 3-month free subscription to Sirius/XM radio.

On Channel 46, Classic Vinyl, I just heard Gloria (as in G-L-O-R-I-A).  The version I heard was by Shadows of Knight, although Wikipedia tells me that it was written by Van Morrison and originally recorded by his band at the time, Them.  It's been notably covered also by Patti Smith, Jimi Hendrix, Grateful Dead, Rick Springfield, R.E.M., Rickie Lee Jones, plus others.  YouTube of the Van Morrison version is here.

Hearing Gloria made me think of other "spelling" songs, such as Respect by Aretha Franklin.  That YouTube is here.

The bride then contributed to the discussion by suggesting Lola, by the Kinks.  YouTube here.

Then somebody mentioned ABC by the Jackson 5, and the conversation was basically over.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment