Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Soapy Immortality

Photo by Gary

I admit I'm probably anal-retentive, and maybe even with a touch of Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD).  But I have a rich life and I'm happy, so these issues are probably non-issues in the big scheme of things.

I never throw away the end of a bar of soap.  Instead, I carefully meld and melt it into the next bar of soap.  Not only is this a money-saving venture, I wonder whether the traces of some ancestral bar of soap from some decades ago, still lingers.

That kind of thinking sort of comforts me.  Because isn't it what we all want, the knowledge that things live on, that the end may not really be the end?

This brings to mind an NPR story I heard or read a couple years ago, here.  The premise is that every time we breathe, now, today, we inhale at least one of the molecules exhaled by Julius Caesar in taking his last breath:

....a large portion would float free and spread themselves all around the globe in a pattern so predictable that (this is the fun part) if you take a deep breath right now, at least one of the molecules entering your lungs literally came from Caesar's last breath. 

   

No comments:

Post a Comment