Thursday, April 21, 2011

Bloodroot...and Ultrarunning


In my shady woods, one of my favorite early wildflowers is the bloodroot (Sanguinaria canadensis).  Mine just bloomed around 15 April here in southern PA, hardiness zone 6.

The graceful white flowers with the yellow centers are perhaps 2" across, and my plants stand about 6" high.  The deeply lobed leaves come later and are very reminiscent to me of watermelon leaves.

See here and here for more details, but this was the wildflower that I originally fell in love with when we moved to this home back in 1978.  Since then I have carefully nurtured mine and saved other wild specimens from destruction in the woods adjacent to my property.

Oh, and the link to Ultrarunning?  When these guys come out in April, along with the Virginia Bluebell, you know it's prime long run season.  Sure, you've plowed through some long training runs over the winter, but they've been of workmanlike necessity.

Now it's time for a fun spring run!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment