Monday, May 2, 2011

Capon Valley 50K in 5 Days....

Sunday I did my last long run--7 miles. See, I am a minimalist when it comes to training, and have 30 years of running "muscle memory" to pull me through.

I have always been able to run long on race day on minimal training.  In fact, as I detailed here, I had a sub-24 hour, top half finish a year ago at the Umstead 100 Mile Endurance Run on barely 100 mile months.

This years' training for the Capon Valley 50K has been no different, with a longest run since Christmas of 21 miles on the Appalachian Trail a couple weeks ago.  Then last week while I was on business travel to Newport News, VA, I did run back-to-back 10 milers on the Noland Trail.

So, I'm ready. I have no doubt I could be faster and improve my times if I wanted to...but I don't want to.  Running fast is not pleasant and I don't enjoy it.  At age 59 I have nothing left to prove, so I just want to enjoy my trail running moments.

As I will on Saturday.  I can't wait!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment