Tuesday, January 1, 2013

This is Why I Blog

[photo by Gary]


Today marks the beginning of my 4th year of blogging. Except for a few instances where life intruded, I have posted something new every day, well over 1,100 posts.  Aside from Ultrarunning, this is one of the things in my life that has stuck.

Now, a relevant quote from some guy:

"What an astonishing thing a book is. It is a flat object made from a tree with flexible parts, on which are imprinted lots of funny dark squiggles. But one glance at it and you're inside the mind of another person. [...] Writing is perhaps the greatest of human inventions, binding together people who never knew each other, citizens of distant epochs. Books break the shackles of time. Books are proof that humans are capable of working magic."
 
--Carl Sagan, courtesy of The Writer's Almanac (which if you do not subscribe to, you must.  Really.) .  He was born on 9 Nov, 1934.

Now, try not to think of me as pretentious, as in my mind I substitute "blog" for "book" in the quote above.  Of course, it's a vast stretch to equate blogs with books, but the underlying concept is indeed the same.  You have some notion or idea percolating in your brain.  It wants out, so you let it out, and post it.  Some people, maybe lots of people, read your thoughts and hopefully it resonates with them.

Mister Tristan (the blog, not the 4 year old human being) represents an outlet for my thoughts.  I'd love to have a vast readership, but it's just a small blog with a few folks who stop by.

No matter, it's the getting out of the ideas that are here in my head that is the point.  Even if only one person reads them, it's a success.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment