Wednesday, April 10, 2013

Fox News...and Ultrarunning

My in-laws, otherwise kind, gentle people with a lot of common sense, have Fox News on constantly in the background.  As a result, whenever we discuss anything having to do with current events, their immediate attitude on most topics is one of, well, outrage seems to be the best word I can think of.

Outrage about this.  Outrage about that.  Oh, and the outrage is always directed at those on the left, or progressives, or President Obama.

Rising Hegemon had a post the other day called "Have to admit, I'm starting to like Jim Carrey."

Clicking back thru to the original at the Huffington Post, it seems that Carrey released a video calling for stricter gun safety measures.  He immediately became a target for--you guessed it--outrage.

Carrey then responded to the blitz from the right with the following (I particularly think the colostomy bag reference is priceless):

Since I released my "Cold Dead Hand" video on Funny or Die this week, I have watched Fux News rant, rave, bare its fangs and viciously slander me because of my stand against large magazines and assault rifles. I would take them to task legally if I felt they were worth my time or that anyone with a brain in their head could actually fall for such irresponsible buffoonery. That would gain them far too much attention which is all they really care about.
I'll just say this: in my opinion Fux News is a last resort for kinda-sorta-almost-journalists whose options have been severely limited by their extreme and intolerant views; a media colostomy bag that has begun to burst at the seams and should be emptied before it becomes a public health issue.
I sincerely believe that in time, good people will lose patience with the petty and poisonous behavior of these bullies and Fux News will be remembered as nothing more than a giant culture fart that no amount of Garlique could cure.
I wish them all the luck that accompanies such malevolence.
 
  Oh, and the obligatory connection to Ultrarunning?  Outrage just isn't my thing.  About the only time I feel something along those lines is whenever I see litter in the backcountry.  I just cannot fathom, I will never understand, how anyone can think that their convenience and desire to be rid of a piece of litter by tossing it on the trail can trump the rights of the rest of us to live in a litter-free world. 

No comments:

Post a Comment