Friday, June 28, 2013

First PhD Conferred to a Woman

The bride and I have 5 college degrees between us, and my brother has a PhD and is a college professor, so I kinda know formal education.

Nevertheless, I was astounded to read today on my homepage, REFDESK, an article about the first woman to be conferred a PhD.

It was Elena Lucrezia Cornaro Piscopia, pictured at left, an Italian; the year was _____. The institution was the University of Padua.

 
[See link for answer--if you can get the century right, you're pretty smart.]

 

 


I am partially prompted to write this as a loved one struggles with balancing college, full time work, and motherhood.  Plus a wonderful dog that is in failing health, a lifelong companion that quite literally saved her life.

Every time I see the dog I whisper in its ear, "Thanks for saving her life."  And he gives me a glance that says, "I know, and she saved mine, too."

 

No comments:

Post a Comment