Sunday, August 11, 2013

Cats in Art: Painted Desert Lion (Unknown Prehistoric Artist)

From my continuing weekly Sunday series of cats in art. Currently I'm using some prehistoric art, triggered by finally seeing "Cave of Forgotten Dreams" which depicts 30,000 year old art in Chauvet Cave, France.
 
Image credit The Big Cats in Rock Art, here
 
 
The Classic Cat, from the Painted Desert in Arizona.  No info on size or technique.
 
I figured I'd keep on with the notion of cats in prehistoric rock art, but the pickings are surprisingly slim.  Google Images has been helpful, but I believe that if I had access to an in-depth art library--think major university--I could likely find plenty of rock art kitties.
 
This cat is so stylized as to be a bit frightening.  The claws are highly emphasized and the mouth is downright scary.  It seems apparent that the artist was a bit wary of the mountain lion (also locally called cougar or panther).
 
 
 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment