Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Janet Christiansen, Revisited...and Ultrarunning

Beem awhile since I posted about Janet Christiansen (last was here).

She was murdered several years ago and is buried in a local cemetery where I run.  An article in our local newspaper a couple years ago about her body being exhumed for additional forensic evidence to try to solve her murder led me to her grave and got me thinking about immortality and such.

Funny how odd events or things just kinda resonate for unkown reasons, but I've generally decided just to go with it, there are things to be learned.  I didn't know Janet; she's just a stranger whose story touched me.

What I've taken from Janet's story is that life is short, things can change in a heartbeat, and that there are no guarantees.  So the only sensible response is to live each day to the fullest and don't take anything for granted.

Whenever I run by there I ususally drop off some wildflowers--here, Queen Anne's Lace--just to say thanks to Janet for the valuable lesson that "you may not have as much time as you think."







The link, of course, to Ultrarunning is one I personally need to take to heart: if you feel like doing a particular run (be it training or a race), just DO IT. 

No time like the present; after all, the whole point of this post is never to assume you'll have the time at some later date.




No comments:

Post a Comment