Sunday, February 9, 2014

Cats in Art: Cats, Red and White (Marc) 1912

From my continuing weekly Sunday series of cats in art. I'm using some ideas from the coffee table book, The Cat in Art, by Stefano Zuffi.

This is my eighth post on Franz Marc (1880-1916), a key German painter whose life tragically ended early on the Western Front in 1916. This will be a multi-week series (I am still uncovering his cat works).


 
Image credit The Atheneum, here. Cats, Red and White, Franz Marc, 1912, oil on canvas, 20" x 14", held in a private collection).

 

I'd call the rightmost kitty orange, not red, but I didn't paint it so I sure don't get to name it.  If I were guessing I'd assume the white cat is female and the red (orange) one is male, just from their postures, body language, and their relative sizes.
 
The white one seems a bit sad, as though it's trying a tad too hard to buddy up to the red (orange) cat and not getting anywhere.
 
That's it for now, typing is a bit uncomfortable (due to injury described here, although I am progressing).
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment